SUMMIT 2019 breakout sessions span a wide range of timely industry topics. Check back often as more information becomes available.Learn more about each session below:
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
If You Build It, They Will Come: Building an HR Function at a Start Up
Speakers: Jessica Adams, VP, People and HR & Alyssa Snyder, HR Specialist, Brads Deals
You’ve just been hired to establish a HR function at a growing startup. Congratulations! But now what? You are facing a blank slate to figure out the best place to focus your energy and prioritize your time all while doing this when you are likely on an island by yourself. Determining the best place to start is imperative because your work will support your most valuable asset - your employees - who without your company will not be able to grow and scale. Learn how through Brad’s Deals cultural best practices of extreme transparency, perpetual learning and connectivity & community.
- Learn how to create a culture your employees will thrive in
- Learn how to find a performance management process that works for your employees
- Learn how to gain your employees' trust
Speaker: Jeff Mariola, CEO, Mariola Unlimited
The session will contain two short breakout sessions and ten minutes of Q & A. The key areas of discussion are:
- What is Resilience and why is it important?
- How resilient are you?
- Nature versus Nurture
- Emotional Intelligence
- Resilience Model
- Practice for resilience in yourself and for others
- EQ areas of Self-perception & Self-expression
1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Influence of Culture, Implicit Bias & Organizational Engagement: What It Is & Why It Matters
Speakers: Tanjia Coleman, Chief Possibility Officer & Lourdes Lonergan, Director of Business Development, YWCA
This training will explore the influence of culture and why it matters. Inform individuals and organizations to the components of cultural competencies, implicit biases, diversity. How to develop strategies, best practices for you and your workplace to provide better service and support to all your clients-regardless of race, ethnicity, age, gender, religion etc.
At the intersection of culture for organizations is engagement and the impact that the organizational culture has on engagement which for businesses has been proven via research to have substantial financial impact. We will also explore the impact of implicit bias in the workplace.
- Define key terms related to cultural competencies and more
- Identify the need for cultural competence in the workplace and community
- Describe skills and strategies to improve cultural knowledge and challenge implicit bias
- Understand the impact that engagement has on organizations
- Understand how culture impacts engagement
- How implicit bias impacts individuals in the workplace
How to Create an Agile Organization
Speaker: Geremy Bass, Program Manager, Zoro
This session provides principles and practices for HR leaders to empower an agile organization, including: 1) How to practice zero-base management, and help managers get out of the way, 2) Identifying which organizational structures and processes are patterns and antipatterns to agility, and 3) How to incorporate feedback loops and iteration into performance reviews and promotions.
- Understand the principles and applications of Agile in an HR context
- Be able to identify which organizational structures and processes are patterns and antipatterns to agility
- Know the first action steps to implement feedback loops and iteration into performance reviews and promotions