SUMMIT 2019 breakout sessions span a wide range of timely industry topics. Check back often as more information becomes available.Learn more about each session below:
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
If You Build It, They Will Come: Building an HR Function at a Start Up
Speakers: Jessica Adams, VP, People and HR & Alyssa Snyder, HR Specialist, Brads Deals
You’ve just been hired to establish a HR function at a growing startup. Congratulations! But now what? You are facing a blank slate to figure out the best place to focus your energy and prioritize your time all while doing this when you are likely on an island by yourself. Determining the best place to start is imperative because your work will support your most valuable asset - your employees - who without your company will not be able to grow and scale. Learn how through Brad’s Deals cultural best practices of extreme transparency, perpetual learning and connectivity & community.
- Learn how to create a culture your employees will thrive in
- Learn how to find a performance management process that works for your employees
- Learn how to gain your employees' trust
Speaker: Jeff Mariola, CEO, Mariola Unlimited
By attending this interactive session based on leading research, participants will understand what resilience is, and why it is important to our personal/professional success and key organizational outcomes such as retention, revenue, and earnings growth. Attendees will understand how key concepts such as grit, emotional intelligence, and mindfulness contribute to resilience. Participants will take a brief self-assessment to determine how resilient they currently are, and will be provided with a practical model for building resilience in themselves and others.
- Understand your current level of resilience based on a resiliency assessment
- Apply a practical resiliency model to enhance personal/professional resilience in yourself, your team, and your organization.
- Learn a step-by-step process for applying mindfulness techniques that support resiliency
The Importance of Purpose
Speaker: Dr. Ali O'Malley, Senior Behavioral Scientist, BetterUp
BetterUp's research has demonstrated that cultivating meaning and purpose in the workplace results in measurable, empirical business outcomes, including significant improvements in engagement, retention and performance. This talk will feature BetterUp's research on the topic, and will describe how BetterUp is helping other organizations unlock performance and retention gains in their workforce by helping them foster more meaning and purpose amongst their employees.
- How to focus on uniquely human behaviors and mindsets-the whole person model
- Identify strategic imperative for change
- Invest in lasting behavioral change- learning to doing to being
1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Influence of Culture, Implicit Bias & Organizational Engagement: What It Is & Why It Matters
Speakers: Tanjia Coleman, Chief Possibility Officer & Lourdes Lonergan, Director of Business Development, YWCA
This training will explore the influence of culture and why it matters. Inform individuals and organizations to the components of cultural competencies, implicit biases, diversity. How to develop strategies, best practices for you and your workplace to provide better service and support to all your clients-regardless of race, ethnicity, age, gender, religion etc.
At the intersection of culture for organizations is engagement and the impact that the organizational culture has on engagement which for businesses has been proven via research to have substantial financial impact. We will also explore the impact of implicit bias in the workplace.
- Define key terms related to cultural competencies and more
- Identify the need for cultural competence in the workplace and community
- Describe skills and strategies to improve cultural knowledge and challenge implicit bias
- Understand the impact that engagement has on organizations
- Understand how culture impacts engagement
- How implicit bias impacts individuals in the workplace
How to Create an Agile Organization
Speaker: Geremy Bass, Program Manager, Zoro
This session provides principles and practices for HR leaders to empower an agile organization, including: 1) How to practice zero-base management, and help managers get out of the way, 2) Identifying which organizational structures and processes are patterns and antipatterns to agility, and 3) How to incorporate feedback loops and iteration into performance reviews and promotions.
- Understand the principles and applications of Agile in an HR context
- Be able to identify which organizational structures and processes are patterns and antipatterns to agility
- Know the first action steps to implement feedback loops and iteration into performance reviews and promotions
Pay Equity Versus Pay Equality & Why it Matters to Business
Speakers: Mariann Madden, Rewards Director, Willis Towers Watson & Kally Kang-Kersey, VP of HR, Zebra Technologies
Equal pay for equal work is a straightforward concept that can be a challenge to implement, but by establishing a foundation for your job and pay structures, implementing governance for how pay decisions will be determined and conducting analysis, you can understand your pay gaps and communicate how they will be closed.
- Understand the difference between pay equity gap versus equal pay gap
- Review key legislative and business issues companies may face
- Hear solutions, options and support available for organizations around pay equity
The Three "M's" to Consider When Making a Workplace Change
Speakers: Karon Woodcock, Director – Change Management, Cushman & Wakefield; Erica Ruder, Director – Strategic Consulting, Cushman & Wakefield; Yvonne Franzese, Chief Human Resources Officer, CNO Financial Group, Inc. & Palak Langenderfer, Senior Director, Corporate Real Estate, AON
Human Capital has been the top global CEO concern in the Conference Board’s CEO Challenge survey for the past six years. Attracting and retaining top talent and developing next-generational leaders is front of mind for the C-Suite in today’s ever-evolving and tightening labor market. Place and space directly impact an organization’s ability to recruit and retain the right talent. This session will equip HR Professionals with high-level diagnostic questions to evaluate the benefits of a real estate strategy and templates to help you develop an effective change adoption plan to support associated organizational changes.
- Learn the importance of HR and Real Estate working together on the organization’s long-term location strategy
- What key change management components are required in implementing the strategy
- How to measure the success of your organization’s changes on the workforce